Squash soup with gruyere
- 1 medium sized squash or pumpkin Queensland Blue or Crown Prince ideal
- 300ml creme fraiche or double cream
- 50ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp finely chopped sage
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 100g grated Gruyere or any cheese you fancy
- Heat oven to 180 / Gas mark 4.
- Wash your squash and cut off the top third.
- Scoop out the seeds. You can roast the seeds (see recipe)
- Scoop out a third of the flesh put in a saucepan with the crème fraiche, stock, chopped sage, salt and pepper and garlic and bring gently to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. I then pureed the soup but up to you if you like it rustic or not.
- Pour the hot soup into the squash replace the lid and cook for one hour. Test the flesh in the lid until tender.
- Remove the lid. Sprinkle with grated gruyere and brown back in the oven for five minutes.
Delicious served with crusty bread.